Saturday, February 12, 2011

Erin... Was I That Wrong

      Erin was the one that 'got me back on the horse,' so to speak.  I had been in a serious relationship for a few years, to the point of being engaged, but recently removed from it.  I wasn't out looking to find anyone and quite frankly was terrified of the thought.  Terrified that I might not be able to devote myself to another like I had.  I wasn't pining, I just hadn't convinced myself that I wasn't pining.  But that all changed when a friend of mine noticed, and told me that Erin was "checkin you out!"
     A few friends and I were doing a charity walk and after a half mile or so, we were tired, I convinced them all to stop and have a beer.  It was a Sunday afternoon just after lunch so the patrons were speckled at a few tables.  Erin was our waitress. 
     I noticed she was pretty, straight brown hair a little past her shoulders pulled back in a pony tail.  She wore eye shadow somewhere in the shade of green and turquoise  which stood out against her black pants, black shirt uniform.  And a very alluring smile.  She took our drink orders and left which lead my friend to comment with a smirk and lead me to pay attention to Erin.
     Erin returned and distributed our drinks, made quick eye contact with me, then quickly away.  She did this a few times.  My beer took some describing because it was brewed at the restaurant, and fell under her job description.  Erin stood next to me and stumbled a bit over her words while doin this.  I smiled and stared... possilbly showed my muscles a bit, who knows... Our group all decided, though it took little convincing on my part that I should ask her out. 
     They left me alone to settle the check.  When Erin brought the receipt I told her that I wanted to come have her describe another beer to me another time, which prompted her to pull out her work schedule and tell me in detail when she would be working again.  After conferring with some other people in the industry, we determined that this was a clear intention of personal contact between her and I. 
     Another day came and I returned to the restaraunt.  About a week later, on a day that Erin named specifically where she'd be.  I lead a different group of friends inside a much more densly populated dining room to find her cleaning of a table that had just been vacated.  A quick banter occurred between her and I where she insinuated, jokingly that the table was for me.  So we sat.
     "Joe right?" she asked.
     She remembered!  I smiled a small smile on the outside which was dwarfed in comparison by my inner smile.  She was busy, but when visiting our table always made time for some flirty chatter, pointed mostly at me.  The signs were pointed in the direction I wanted them to be so, again at check-out time, I asked Erin if I could call her some time. 
     Her resonse of "This is awkward," followed by her prompt exit from the table was not what I had expected.  Trouble had struck, so I decided to pay the bill, leave a very generous tip along with my phone number and say good night.  I handed her the bill, got one last look at her beautifly smile, and green/turquoise eye shadow and said "I hope to talk to you soon."  I never heard from her again. 
     So, was I that wrong about Erin?  Did I get sucked in to the standard con that is being a waitress, soliciting tips with your womanly wiles? Did I swing and miss with her?  Did I percieve her correctly and take it to a level that it probably should have avoided?  Or am I just a sucker for brown hair and a pony tail?  I think a case could be made for E. all of the above.
    
    

1 comment:

  1. She's got a boyfriend...or a girlfriend. That't my thinking. If a boyfriend, my guess is that she's not 100% satisfied with it. But she's not ready to end it yet.

    ReplyDelete