Saturday, March 12, 2011

Amy- Aren't We Cousins?

     I decided to join two friends at a bar to watch a basketball game.  My two friends also had two friends, neither of whom I knew. We all sat in a line at the bar.  One of them was a 'bookie' and really soured the mood.  The game we were watching was causing him to hemmorage money to most of his betters, except one; my friend.  Time and time again he would remind all of us that my friend was losing; it was very distracting and immature.  It was not so distracting that I didn't notice the group next them that consisted of a few attractive young ladies. 
     The night progressed, the drinks continued and the socialization got less basketball oriented.  Something I couldn't have been happier about because without basketball there was no need to talk about betting on basketball.  I had pulled my two friends dangerously close to the group that had grabbed my attention earlier.  So close that some random interactions were being had.  Connections were vague, and acquaintances were sparse until one of the young ladies looked at my friend and exclaimed "This may sound weird but aren't we cousins?" The conversation was now personal. 
     After the game was over my two friends packed their bags and left, but I had a hankerin' to stick around.  I realize of course that it is dangerous to initiate a conversation with a woman in a group, when you are alone and have no one to fall back on.  If she dosen't want to talk to you, then you are just out there.  But I like to live on the edge from time to time, so I stayed. 
    I prepared a question or two for my friends' second or third cousin twice removed or something like that, they weren't closely related.  The questions assured my being invited into the conversation.  I can't quote them but they were designed to provoke her in reference to what she was going to school for.  At some point in the conversation the word 'boyfriend' came up, followed by some dismay on my part.  That’s when the cousin said to me in a tone not to far from annoyance "Why don't you go talk to Amy." So I did.
     Amy was a little more intoxicated than the rest, and didn't notice that my attention up to this point had been solely on the cousin.  Amy and I talked for a while, we laughed, I bought her a drink or two.  Her male friends would pop in and out of conversations and I embraced them.  We were hitting it off.  After a bit, I asked and Amy made it clear that she was "completely single."  In hind sight, the addition and emphasis on 'completely' played a huge role.  It was a clear indication that she had not been single all that long...
    Amy and I agreed to meet again, and exchanged phone numbers.  Soon after that I decided rather than being 'some guy hanging around' I would get the heck out of there.  So I retired to my home, happy to have met Amy. I was happy to have had a successful launch, happy to be, at some point, talking to Amy again. 
     I called Amy once or twice in the next week, and left a message.  As I was leaving the gay pride festival a week or so later (you will be reading about the festival soon) I received a call from Amy.  She told me that she had an on-again-off-again boyfriend and they were now on.  When we talked they were off.  She apologized and so did I.  I thought it was nice of her to call me, in person and tell me this.  I left her with these words, "You have my number, keep it.  If things change, or you ever want to have a drink... give me a call."
     I never heard from her again.

No comments:

Post a Comment